Sunday 4 December 2016

#Blogmas 2016 - Day 3 - The Jingle Bell Tag : What books I want for Christmas



I discovered this tag this morning thanks to Amy @ Curiouser  & Curiouser. The meme itself originates with Richard @ The Humpo Show. I'm going to do this slightly different, instead of doing it all in 1 post, I'm going to spread it out over 6 days and write an individual post for each of the 6 categories. I'm doing this for 2 reasons. 1. If I leave all 6 in 1 post I know myself well enough to know that is will be an incredibly long post. 2. Shameless self-preservation, if I spread it out over 6 days that gives me nearly a week to come up with more holiday related topics for myself while I write about Richard's prompts.


The Categories



  • “All I Want For Christmas Is You…” | What book do you want to see under the Christmas Tree?
  • “Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time…” | What book that you have read this year have you enjoyed the most?
  • “It’s Beginning to look a lot like Christmas…” | Which book has most festive look to it?
  • Elf | What book unleashes your inner child?
  • The Grinch | Your favourite villain…
  • The Holiday | Name your favourite TWO couples…


“All I Want For Christmas Is You…”

What book do you want to see under the Christmas Tree?



It should come as no surprise to anyone who has read any of my blog that I'm starting off my answer to this by saying there is definitely more than 1 book that I hope to see in my Christmas stocking this year (we don't put up a tree at home, so we just do stockings stuffed with gifts and we even usually do that on Christmas eve). I will limit myself to the top 5 books that I would like to receive this year.

For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla, Guide to the Norse Worlds by Rick Riordan

As a big fan of both the Riordanverse and companion books in general this book appeals to me greatly. It's a companion book to Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, and I think I'll read the second as soon as I finish the Kelley Armstrong trilogy I'm reading at the moment.

The summary from Goodreads is pretty self-explanatory and does a good job on its own (I think) of highlighting why I want the book:

"So you've made it to Valhalla. Now what? This "who's who" guide to the gods, goddesses, and other important figures of Norse mythology was commissioned by Helgi, who, after more than a millennium as manager of Hotel Valhalla, became fed up with answering the same questions from newly deceased heroes at check-in. The profiles provide essential stats, interviews, and personal reflections so you can identify the gods and avoid those awkward introductions. Handy facts about other beings round out this go-to tome. You'll never see Ratatosk as a cute little rodent or confuse a dwarf with an elf ever again!"
This is one of those ones where if no one buys it for me I will probably buy it with my gift cards, because Chapters gift cards tend to be what I receive and I am more than all right with that!

The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12) by Gena Showalter

I know that I've mentioned this one in at least 1 previous Musing Monday post because I am so excited for it. I've been waiting for eagerly and impatiently for Baden's story since the moment he was introduced into the series. I've been so fascinated with him I've written an entire story line for him in my head already that I know will not at all be the direction that Gena Showalter has taken. Speaking of which, here's the Goodreads summary:

"Can Beauty tame her Beast?
Driven to his death by the demon of Distrust, Baden spent centuries in purgatory. Now he's back, but at what cost? Bound to the king of the underworld, an even darker force, he's unable to withstand the touch of another and he's quickly devolving into a heartless assassin with an uncontrollable temper. Things only get worse when a mission goes awry and he finds himself saddled with a bride just not his own.
Famed dog trainer Katarina Joelle is forced to marry a monster to protect her loved ones. When she's taken hostage by the ruthless, beautiful Baden immediately after the ceremony, she's plunged into a war between two evils with a protector more dangerous than the monsters he hunts. They are meant to be enemies, but neither can resist the passion burning between them and all too soon the biggest threat is to her heart.
But as Baden slips deeper into the abyss, she'll have to teach him to love or lose him forever."

This selection is kind of a cheat because I know with 100% certainty that I am getting it because I had it in my hand prepared to buy it and my mum snatched it out of my hand with a yoink and said it would be a Christmas gift.

Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages #2) by Kelley Armstrong & Melissa Marr

Like the Magnus Chase book above, this is one of those ones where if no one gets it specifically for me, I'll probably buy it myself. Kelley Armstrong is among my 5 favourite authors you see and I bought the first book in this series (Loki's Wolves) last month, it's sitting on my to be read pile waiting until I get this and Thor's Serpents so that I can read the entire series in one go.

You'll notice from the title and the Goodreads summary that as with the Magnus Chase novel this one is also about Norse mythology. When combined with the Greek mythology in Lords of Underworld I'd say it's pretty obvious I am a bit of a mythology geek:

"Seven kids, Thor's hammer, and a whole lot of Valkyries are the only things standing against the end of the world.
When thirteen-year-old Matt Thorsen, a modern day descendant of the Norse god Thor, was chosen to represent Thor in an epic battle to prevent the apocalypse he thought he knew how things would play out. Gather the descendants standing in for gods like Loki and Odin, defeat a giant serpent, and save the world. No problem, right?
But the descendants' journey grinds to a halt when their friend and descendant Baldwin is poisoned and killed and Matt, Fen, and Laurie must travel to the Underworld in the hopes of saving him. But that's only their first stop on their journey to reunite the challengers, find Thor's hammer, and stop the apocalypse--a journey filled with enough tooth-and-nail battles and larger-than-life monsters to make Matt a legend in his own right.
Authors K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr return to Blackwell in the epic sequel to Loki's Wolves with more explosive action, adventure and larger-than-life Norse legends."
The City of Shifting Waters (Valérian #1) by Pierre Christin & Jean-Claude Mézières

So early in October a co-worker asked me if I'd seen the trailer for an upcoming film, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets because she thought it was exactly the type of film I'd like. I hadn't, so I sought it out and watched the trailer and she was totally right. It's exactly the kind of film I like and it's got Cara Delevingne in it, and I kind of really love her (especially her awesome eyebrows but not solely because of them). I did a little digging and discovered that it's a comic book adaptation, so I decided that I would like to read the comic first.

Here's the Goodreads summary for anyone not familiar with the series (I also highly recommend the film trailer):

"Galaxity, capital of the Terran Empire in the 28th century. Valerian and Laureline are agents who protect mankind from rogue time travellers. Now they are sent to New York in 1986 to intercept Galaxity's worst megalomaniac, Xombul-except that in 1986, the world is in ruins and New York is about to be swallowed by the ocean. The two agents must navigate the shifting waters of the past to make sure that the future will exist."
Figment 2: Legacy of Imagination (Figment #2) by Jim Zub & Roman Bachs

I know right now that this one is probably a pipe dream because it's $31 on its own, so I will probably have to use my gift card money; but I would really love to receive this. I was at Disney exactly 1 week too early to get it from the source instead of ordering it from Chapters This is the second collected volume of graphic novels about Dreamfinder and Figment. Figment is Walt Disney World exclusive Disney character who makes his home in EPCOT and I am more than mildly obsessed with this cheeky purple and orange dragon who is literally a figment of the imagination come to life.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

"Figment and Dreamfinder have saved the world...but now find themselves in a time and place not their own! Out of time for over 100 years...old friends reunite, new challenges are met, and a brand new mystery unfolds. Dreamfinder's greatest challenge lies ahead...but will his own legacy be his undoing? Don't miss the sequel to the fan-favorite, sold-out Figment miniseries based on Walt Disney World's beloved 'Journey Into Imagination' attraction. COLLECTING: FIGMENT 2 1-5"

What book, or books, are all of you hoping to receive this holiday season? (For those of you who give and receive gifts over the holidays :))



No comments:

Post a Comment