Tuesday 27 December 2016

#Blogmas 2016 - Day 26 - Musing Monday - What I'm reading & my Christmas book haul



Musing Monday December 26, 2016

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:

  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

 I’m currently reading…

I am still reading The Immortals, I'm up to page 206 but I haven't read it since yesterday morning. I went to my aunt's overnight last night for Christmas and I didn't feel like taking a library book with me because knowing me I'd end up forgetting it there in a completely different city than where I live. That's not a fruitless worry - after Thanksgiving one year I left my camera at my uncle's house also in a different city than the one I live in. So we had to make a point of picking it up when we went in the next month for a doctors appointment. For that reason I started reading a new book this morning, a Kobo ebook on the Kobo app on my phone:

Deceptions (Cainsville #3) by Kelley Armstrong

I finished Visions on the 21st and wanted to start Deceptions immediately but I knew I wanted to have an ebook to read today at my aunt's so I forced myself to wait to start this. It's a good thing I did because I got a Kobo gift card for Christmas so I used that to buy Betrayals tonight so that I don't have to wait to start that once I finish deceptions. Of course then it will be a long wait until the 5th book in the series drops mid next year. I am seriously loving this series, it's absolutely fascinating and I am so invested in the story and characters now. part of me wishes I had read the books when they were initially published so I could have loved them longer but the other part of me is thrilled that I am only getting obsessed with them now because I can binge read them and not have to wait ages in between each book. As I said I started reading it this morning when I woke up and then I read it in the car because the foggy, rainy weather was straining my eyes and the screen of my phone was easier on them, so I'm already up to chapter 11. I can't give you a page number because the Kobo edition doesn't have page numbers.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

"TRUST NO ONE
Olivia Jones is desperate for the truth. The daughter of convicted serial killers, she has begun to suspect that her parents are innocent of their crimes. But who can she trust, in a world where betrayal and deception hide in every shadow?
RISK EVERYTHING
Liv does have one secret weapon: a mysterious sixth sense that helps her to anticipate danger. The trouble is, this rare power comes with its own risks. There are dark forces that want to exploit Liv's talents - and will stop at nothing to win her to their side.
FACE THE TRUTH
Now Liv must decide, before it's too late. Who does she love? Who is really on her side? And can she save herself without burning down everything that matters most?"

Compared to the summaries for the first two books in the series this one seems strangely underwhelming.

        THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Did you get any good books for the holidays?


I got LOTS of books for the holidays!

  1. The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Magical Movie Handbook  (from my lovely Angie)
  2. The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them colouring and creativity book (also from Angie)
  3. Fairest of All : a tale of the Wicked Queen by Serena Valentino (from my Mum)
  4. Darkest Torment by Gena Showalter (also from my Mum)
  5. Betrayals ebook by Kelley Armstrong (via a gift card from my Mum)
  6. Lost Souls ebook by Kelley Armstrong (via a gift card from my Mum)
  7. City of the Lost ebook by Kelley Armstrong (via a gift card from family members)
  8. Winds Of Salem : A Witches Of East End by Melissa de la Cruz (via a gift card from family members)
  9. Black Widow Red Vengeance (a Black Widow Novel) by Margaret Stohl (via a gift card from family members)
  10. Fallout by Gwenda Bond (via a gift card from family members)
  11. Double Down by Gwenda Bond (via a gift card from family members)
  12. Supernatural : War of the Sons by Rebecca Dessertine (via a gift card from family members)
  13. Supernatural : One Year Gone by Rebecca Dessertine (via a gift card from family members)
  14. Supernatural : Coyote's Kiss by Christa Faust (via a gift card from family members)
  15. The Raven Boys: Book 1 of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (via a gift card from family members)
  16. Figment 2 : Legacy Of Imagination by Jim Zub (via a gift card from family members/plum rewards points)

I am SO excited to read all of these in 2017 :D




1 comment: