Sunday 23 October 2016

Unboxing - #owlcrate October 2016 - Once Upon a Dream Box


October's #owlcrate arrived on Wednesday, but I didn't get the chance to sit down and write this unboxing post until this weekend. This month's theme was Once Upon a Dream and here's the spoiler card:



The theme being what it is I was totally and completely expecting anything and everything related to fairytales and classic children's stories and I was not at all disappointed. They included items inspired by/based upon a few of my fondly remembered and well loved classical children's tale franchises.



Time for what I thought of each of this month's items, this time I'm following the order the items appeared on the spoiler card:

1. Fabric button bookmark from My Heart My Tribe

Bookmarks seem to be almost standard fare for an Owl Crate and I am not complaining because so far they have all been lovely! Although I can't find my Queen of Hearts one from the darkness box at the moment so I will need to go hunting for it. This bookmark is basically a giant paper clip with a really lovely button on it. The fabric my bookmark is made of is a light, powder blue base and then blue; red; and blue and white flowers. It really is very love - I am currently undecided on if I am keeping it for myself or if it's going to be gifted.

2. the Oz passport from from The Unemployed Philosophers Guild

This is a cute little 60 page note book designed to look like a passport. Go here to see better pictures of it. I love little notebooks I have them all over the place to write down all of the various thoughts, ideas, and plottings that have been known to pop into my head at random. I think this little one will go and live on my desk at work because that's about the one place I don't have a notebook right now.

3. Sleeping Beauty charm bracelet from The Geeky Cauldron

First and foremost I must say how much I absolutely LOVE the name of this shop and I really wish I'd thought of it myself years ago for a blog name it's a fantastic name! Such wordplay! I love it. Anyway now onto the bracelet, it's a lovely little bangle with a spinning wheel charm, and a charm that says once upon a dream. I don't tend to wear jewelry, but I have a tweenage cousin who loves princesses who I think will adore it so it's just become part of her Christmas gift.

4. Slouchy Peter Pan beanie from Whosits & Whatsits

So this was the item that they announced was going to be in the box last time, they said in October we would get a clothing item from Whosits and Whatsits. I can't help but start singing Ariel's song from The Little Mermaid every time I have to say or think that store name!! Its' fantastic. And so of course is the beanie! Who wouldn't want to wear a Peter Pan themed beanie! I've been jealously coveting the slouchy beanie my coworker made for herself but now I have one of my own, so yay for that! I can cosplay as Pan himself every day this winter if I so desire now! Although I might have to alternate between this and the Stormtrooper toque I got in a sci-fi block earlier this year.

6. Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter + signed bookplate, and temporary tattoo

I feel like I've heard of this book - or at least I've seen the cover before because it looked and sounded familiar, maybe one of the blogs I follow reviewed an ARC at some point. Who knows either way I have it now and based on the summary it sounds like it has the potential to either be something I could really enjoy like City of Dark Magic or be something I really wanted to enjoy but ended up being disappointed with and not enjoying at all, like The Night Circus. It's a retelling of a traditional Russian folktale so it's got me very curious because I've always been fascinated by folktales and I love retellings. Now, without further ado here is the aforementioned summary of the book from Goodreads:

In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.
In Vassa’s neighborhood, where she lives with her stepmother and bickering stepsisters, one might stumble onto magic, but stumbling out again could become an issue. Babs Yagg, the owner of the local convenience store, has a policy of beheading shoplifters—and sometimes innocent shoppers as well. So when Vassa’s stepsister sends her out for light bulbs in the middle of night, she knows it could easily become a suicide mission.
But Vassa has a bit of luck hidden in her pocket, a gift from her dead mother. Erg is a tough-talking wooden doll with sticky fingers, a bottomless stomach, and a ferocious cunning. With Erg’s help, Vassa just might be able to break the witch’s curse and free her Brooklyn neighborhood. But Babs won’t be playing fair… 

Overall I am pretty pleased with this month's box there weren't any items that I didn't like. Obviously there were also a few items which I loved. I am SUPER PUMPED for next month's theme though, like so, so hyped for it - the November theme is going to be Wonderland and anyone who knows me knows how much I LOVE Alice in Wonderland. So an Alice retelling is right up my alley for a book choice next month!



2 comments:

  1. That box is great. I know you love beanies and now I have images of you pretending to be Peter Pan hehe. The bracelet looks adorable, so cute. The passport is cute too, did you know they did a Wonderland one of those as well, perhaps it will be in next months box haha. That box will be just perfect for you, you Wonderland geek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great! I will make sure to take a selfie or have someone take a picture of me pretending to be Peter because you are right it will definitely happen hehe. It's a very pretty bracelet, I just don't wear bracelets except for the matching ones we had but I don't even wear that anymore after I broke the feathers because I didn't want to break it worse. Oooh no I did not know about the Wonderland one! Yes maybe it will be hehe.

      Delete