Monday 25 July 2016

Unboxing - #owlcrate July 2016 - Evil Box


I've been following Owl Crate for about a year now but I could never justify subscribing to it when I already subscribe to both the Marvel Collector Corps (as seen in my last unboxing post) and the Sci-fi Block; when I saw the theme for this month's box I knew I had to subscribe. A good vs. evil box with guaranteed Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter AND Star Wars items plus a brand new book is too much right up my alley to pass up. There was a 50/50 chance of getting either the good box or the evil box and I got:

evil #owlcrate ftw
I must say I am VERY, VERY pleased with this result. I actually squealed with excitement when I pulled that out of the box and then eagerly got to looking at what my items and book were.


Now I'll give you the low down on each of the items and my thoughts on them.

1. Harry Potter Dementor Funko!POP

Thrilled to see this one in the box. It's one of the HP Funkos that I didn't have yet. I had been waffling about whether or not I actually wanted to get it because in the pictures I had seen of it it looked too creepy. But actually seeing it up close really changed my mind. It's amazing, so detailed and just the right amount of creepy. He is now sitting atop my entertainment unit between my matryoshka doll and my Collector Funko!POP.

2. Death Star necklace

It's a cool necklace. It's made of carved wood which I think it great. I'm not usually one for jewelry (Angie will verify that), and when I do wear stuff it tends to lean away from anything ultra feminine  so this would actually be right up my alley to wear if/when I need a necklace. There's only one problem though, the chain is too short for me, boo. So I will try to put it on a longer chain, or I will give it to my cousin Evie for christmas, she likes Star Wars and jewelry.

3. Queen of Hearts magnetic bookmark

I don't tend to use bookmarks, in my own books that is, I always use a marker in a library book or book loaned to me by a friend (in my won books I unabashedly dog ear the pages). Usually though I just use whatever is handy for a marker, today I used my ticket from my trip to Disney in May to mark my place in a graphic novel, but I digress! Yes, I don't normally use bookmarks, but I am a HUGE Alice in Wonderland fan so this one is definitely one that I will use very happily.

4. "Am I not Merciful?" sticker

I could not place this quote but I love it, it's a fantastic quote. So then I reread the evil card that describes the items to see what book it's from, and it's from a book I've never heard of but am now definitely going to seek out. The book in question is, Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff.

5. This Savage Song

This is Victoria Schwab's (aka V.E. Schwab) newest book. I have been wanting to read one of her books every since I saw A Darker Shade of Magic in one of the previous Owl Crates but I never did manage to get around to it. Now I have the perfect excuse for getting around to it :D. Definitely looking forward to reading this one. The summary is very intriguing.

There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.
Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.
As you can see in the photo above, the book came wrapped in plastic and there were a couple of more items hidden in the plastic behind the book:


That right there everyone is a hand written and signed note from Victoria Schwab herself describing the book and telling me to enjoy it, along with an autographed book plate and a teeny little colouring book of YA book covers.

Overall for my first experience with #owlcrate I really couldn't be more pleased! I was thinking about cancelling the subscription right away but after how happy I was with this box I think I will keep it going to see if I can hit good twice and be just as happy with the box for next month, because my Sci-Fi blocks can be a little hit or miss (this month's was such a miss for me that I am not even doing an unboxing.)

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment