Tuesday 21 June 2016

Musing Mondays - What I'm reading & falling in love with reading


It's time again for Musing Monday! Courtesy of Jenn at Books and a Beat.

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:

  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

         I'M CURRENTLY READING:

Obligatory romance cover pecs of doom!
I have two books on the go at the moment. Three technically because I did start the Chamber of Secrets audio book but I haven't listened to it for about a week now, oops. I should really stop re-watching the same DVDs over and over and actually get on that again. I decided that if I'm going to complete the PopSugar and Book Riot challenges I'd have to start reading two books at once because there are books I want to read that don't fit the challenges. For example the first book I am reading now, Jewel of Atlantis by Gena Showalter, it's the second book in her Atlantis series. Back in January with the knowledge that the newest book in the Lords of the Underworld series was coming out in May (and knowing I also hadn't read the previously most recently published one yet) I decided I'd re-read the entire Lords of the series. This however meant I also needed to read the entire Angels of the Dark trilogy by Gena because the two series are intertwined. As I got to the end of LOTU and AOTD I decided what the heck I'll just read everything paranormal that Gena Showalter has written, so that's why I'm reading Atlantis now while I wait for the most recent LOTU book to come out in paper back so it matches my other books.

That willy nilly silly ole' bear <3
The other book that I'm currently reading is one that satisfies one of the challenge requirements. One of the required reads for the Book Riot read harder challenge is a book either fiction or non-fiction about religion. Back last year at work I had to put this book on reserve for a class and so I put it on my Amazon wish list hoping someone would buy it for me as a gift, and that someone ended up being my lovely bestie Angie. Once she bought it for me though it just sat on my too be read shelves waiting for me to get around to it, and now I have. I am reading The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. It's about how Winnie the Pooh can actually be used as a really good way to explain the concepts of Taoism. As a Disney fan this appeals to me because I have always loved Pooh and his friends, especially after the 100 Acre Woods levels in the Kingdom Hearts games, but I digress. Also, as someone who studied religions and cultures in University, learning more about Taoism, which I never took a class on at school, has always been appealing to me and this book is putting it into a fun a relatable context for me. So far I am really enjoying it, so thanks for buying it for me Angie!

THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: What made you fall in love with reading?

It feels like I've always loved reading actually and I think my mum would back me up on that. I honestly feel like I can say it's in the genes. My dad was a big reader right up until the time he passed and my mum still is, so when I was growing up I was always surrounded by books and reading. My mum started reading to me out loud while she was still pregnant with me, she enjoys reminding me that the first book she read out loud to me after I was born was War and Peace I am equally fond of telling her that that is probably why I abhor Russian literature. I had a whole whackload of those read-along books with cassette tapes when I was a toddler in the late 80s, and I could actually read by myself by the time I got to junior kindergarten at the age of 4, the only kid in my JK class who could if I remember correctly. By SK I was up to those children's novels. My love of reading just seems like it's always been there and always will be and that makes me happy.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment